A few interesting facts regarding Renewable Energy have been compiled here in:
- Solar Energy is the biggest source of energy on planet earth
- The energy that the earth receives from the sun in just one hour is more than humans consume in a year
- Just past the atmosphere, the strength of the solar radiation received over a meter square area is almost constant. Its value is 1357 Watts/meter square and is termed as the solar constant.
- Hydropower is one of the cheapest sources of renewable energy today.
- The power produced by large scale hydropower plant can be less than 2 cents a kWh.
- Fishes like salmon that spawn upstream of the river can be given access across a dam by providing fish ladders.
- Small scale run of the river hydropower projects are more environmentally friendly compare to large scale dams.
- The biggest dam in the world is the Three Gorges Dam in Yiling District, China. The dam spans the Yangtze river and has a capacity of 22500 MW.
- Wind power has been in use since 2000 BC and the first devices to utilizes wind energy were made in China and Persia.
- China has the largest installed capacity for wind power, followed by USA, Germany and Spain.
- Modern wind turbines produce 15 times more energy than their counter parts in the 1990.
- Wind turbines is currently the fastest growing renewable technology in the world.
Wave and Tidal Energy
- One of the factors that govern tidal energy is the moons gravitational force.
- Among all the other forms of renewable energy, only Tidal energy is strength can be predicted years in advance for any given time.
- Old Tide Mills found on Spanish, French and English coastal towns can be dated back to 8 th century.
- Wave and Tidal power can produce more than 800 times more energy compared to wind turbine of the same size because of the higher density of water.
- Wave energy landing on a certain area can be predicted by using weather satellites.